PREVENTION OF RAGGING IN THE COLLEGE
STUDENTS AND PARENTS ARE INFORMED THAT RAGGING IS BANNED AND SHALL BE CONSIDERED AS A SERIOUS OFFENCE WHICH WILL ATTRACT SEVERE PUNISHMENT.
Parents are requested to emphasize on their wards the seriousness of the offence and instruct them not to indulge in ragging.
UGC REGULATIONS ON CURBING THE MENACE OF RAGGING IN HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS, 2009
(under Section 26 (1) (g) of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956) Full text is available on our website, www.ruparel.edu and with the Registrar in the college office. Important aspects of the Regulation are given below:
What constitutes Ragging?
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
- indulging in rowdy or indisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
- asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
- exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
- any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
Action to be taken by the Head of the institution.- On receipt of the recommendation of the Anti Ragging Squad or on receipt of any information concerning any reported incident of ragging, the Head of institution shall immediately determine if a case under the penal laws is made out and if so, either on his own or through a member of the Anti-Ragging Committee authorised by him in this behalf, proceed to file a First Information Report (FIR), within twenty four hours of receipt of such information or recommendation, with the police and local authorities, under the appropriate penal provisions relating to one or more of the following, namely;
- Abetment to ragging;
- Criminal conspiracy to rag;
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging;
- Public nuisance created during ragging;
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging;
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt;
- Wrongful restraint;
- Wrongful confinement;
- Use of criminal force;
- Assault as well as sexual offences or unnatural offences;
- Criminal trespass;
- Offences against property;
- Criminal intimidation;
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s);
- Threat to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s);
- Physical or psychological humiliation;
- All other offences following from the definition of “Ragging”
The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt established by the Anti-Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely;
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/ withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to four semesters.
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
Provided that where the persons committing or abetting the act of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
|Dr. Deepa Sharma
||Head of The Institution
||Representatives of Civil Administration
|Shri George Fernandes
||In-Charge, Malad Police Station
||Representatives of Police Administration
|Dr. Varsha Patel
||Janseva Samiti Sanchalit Family Counselling Center
||Non Government Organizations Involved In Youth Activities
|Mr. Parag Thaker
||Representatives of Faculty Members
|Mr. Kishor Gupte
|Shri P. Sonawane
||Representatives of Faculty Members (Minority Representative)
|Ms. Navya Souza
||BA Part I- Mar.
||Representatives of Students ‘Freshers’
|Ms. Rudra Nair
||BA Part II- Eng.
|Ms. Juhi Sharma
||BA Part III – Mar.
|Ms. Neha Mutreja
||BA Part III – Eng.
|Ms. Priya Vishwakarma
||BA Part III – Eng.
||Representatives of Parents
|Mrs. Tejal Kantharia
||Representatives of Non-Teaching Staff
Online Facility for Anti-Ragging Affidavits
Step 1: Log on to www.antiragging.in OR www.amanmovement.org
Step 2: Fill in the information as desired
Step 3: On successful completion you will receive affidavits, both for Students and Parents, through e-mail. Sign them and submit them to your College.
There is no money involved as there is no need to get these affidavits signed by a Notary Public/Oath Commissioner etc. No need to get these Affidavits printed on the stamp paper and no need to scan these documents or create electronic data sets